False alarms can be very annoying to you and your crew.
Most likely false alarms can be prevented by following these steps.
- Change the Power/Range Setting
By default, beacons are set to use the "Normal (default)" power mode. This mode provides a good balance between range and power consumption. If you are on a large vessel or one made of metal, you might want to increase the power mode to "Long Range."
To change the power mode, do the following:
1. Press the top left icon on the app screen (three stacked lines).
2. Select "Settings" from the side menu.
3. At the bottom, find "Range & Power" and tap the current setting on the right.
4. Select "Long Range (high power)" to increase the power and range. Note: This setting will result in shorter battery life of the beacon.
- Smartphone/Tablet Position
Keep the monitoring phone/tablet in a central position on the vessel. If the signal is halfway between the bow and stern, the signal doesn't have to travel as far.
- Beacon Wearing Position
We strongly recommend the placement of the beacon on life jackets to be high on the chest, as it will increase the reach of the beacon's signal when the MOB is in the water.